Prefer to talk?

Sometimes it helps to discuss your requirements with an expert. Set a callback request and one of our team will call back at a time that suits you.

Call me back

Outstanding value, faster cover

Here at Staveley Head, we pride ourselves on the fact that we were the first specialist HGV insurance broker to offer a quote comparison service, underlining our dedication to both supporting the industry and giving you the best quote possible. Whatever truck you drive and whichever trade you specialise in, you can get an idea of how much to pay in a matter of minutes.

Under our HGV drivers insurance offers, we can cover any vehicle with a gross weight of between 7.5 and 44 tonnes with body types such as articulated lorries, rigid body lorries, pantechnicons, tankers, flatbed lorries and even skip carriers. Alongside this, Staveley Head gives you plenty of other reasons to switch your cover with us, including:

What's more, you can transfer your no-claims bonus if it was earned in the UK, meaning you could be eligible for an even lower price. If you feel like you may need a special HGV insurance policy, don't hesitate - get in touch with our experts today to discuss your options.

The hottest HGV insurance deals online

Get a quote

Your HGV insurance questions answered

[+] If I get an online quote, can I compare HGV insurance prices?

We're proud of the fact that we were the first specialist HGV insurance broker to offer a quote comparison service.

Already, some of the UK's biggest insurers subscribe to our panel of providers, and we're constantly looking to expand the number of truck insurance companies appearing on the site.

Regardless of the type of truck you drive, you'll be able to compare the lowest prices and see all of the cover features at a glance.

[+] Do I need an operators' licence?

You will need an operators' licence to carry goods connected with any trade or business if your vehicle's gross weight is more than 3.5 tonnes.

There are certain exemptions, and you need to check the rules that apply to your own circumstances or speak to us for guidance.

[+] What types of vehicle can I cover under an HGV insurance policy?

Our schemes will cater for any vehicle with a gross weight of between 7.5 and 44 tonnes. We will try to accommodate most vehicles, and our online lorry insurance quote system typically offers rates for the following body types:

  • Articulated lorries
  • Rigid body lorries
  • Flatbed lorries
  • Pantechnicons
  • Tankers
  • Skip carriers

If our online HGV insurance quote system does not provide a rate, one of our specialist team will assess the risk and provide a competitive rate as quickly as possible.

[+] Will my policy restrict what I can use my lorry for?

Most heavy goods vehicles are used for haulage or delivery services, but we understand that everybody's needs are different.

Our quote system will find the cheapest HGV insurance premium whether you use the vehicle for pleasure purposes or for haulage.

[+] Can I take my truck into Europe?

Many hauliers make regular trips into Europe and our schemes will allow travel into Europe, whether on an occasional trip-by-trip basis or where an annual green card is required.

[+] What types of goods will my policy allow me to carry?

Typically, HGV insurance policies allow for the carriage of most goods with the exception of hazardous items. If you do carry hazardous goods, our staff will be happy to discuss your requirements and find a suitable policy.

[+] Can I transfer my No Claims Bonus from another insurer?

Your No Claims Bonus can be transferred provided it was earned in the UK.

We will also allow generous introductory discounts if you have earned a No Claims Bonus on another vehicle but do not wish to transfer.

Additionally, if you do not have a No Claims Bonus but have been driving heavy goods vehicles for a number of years and can prove this by way of a letter from a current or former employer, we will allow the equivalent No Claims Bonus. This can amount to a discount of up to 65%.

[+] Will I get a like-for-like replacement vehicle in the event of an accident?

Our optional Legal Protection policy, as well as providing a valuable claims management service, will provide a vehicle of similar type and size if you are involved in a non-fault accident, subject to availability.

You will be given the option of purchasing this extra cover when buying your HGV insurance online. For further information, please speak to one of our team on 0845 017 9991.

[+] What other policies will I need in addition to HGV insurance?

The only legal requirements with regard to insurance in the UK is motor insurance and Employers' Liability insurance. In a nutshell, if you own or drive or vehicle, or employ anybody in any capacity, you will need insurance to satisfy the law.

However, there may be occasions where you will need extra cover to satisfy the terms of a contract, or simply want to make sure you and your business are fully protected.

As a minimum, we would recommend:

  • Goods in transit cover
  • Legal protection
  • Liability insurance
  • Breakdown cover